Kevin’s practice focuses on regulatory and market design matters for electric sector clients.
Kevin’s practice focuses on the electric sector, with an emphasis on competitive wholesale markets. Kevin has served as counsel to system operators, project sponsors, and government entities on the design and operation of wholesale electricity markets, the development of energy infrastructure, and related commercial relationships and transactions.
- Regularly advises on the design and operation of wholesale markets for energy, installed capacity, ancillary services, and transmission services, including various regulatory, market design, finance, and corporate governance matters.
- Represents ISOs and RTOs in federal and state regulatory proceedings, including matters before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and other federal and state agencies.
- Represents ISOs and RTOs in various federal and state litigation, arbitration, and mediation proceedings involving the administration of market rules, calculation of market rates, disputed financial settlements, market power monitoring and mitigation, and generation siting.
- Represented the entity responsible for administering the network used by North American operators of the bulk electric system to exchange critical operating reliability data.
- Advises on the development and administration of ISO and RTO counterparty credit risk management policies and practices.
- Advises clients in connection with various audits and investigations by FERC, NERC, and other entities.
- Advises clients on matters related to physical and cyber security, including risk management, regulatory compliance, emergency response, and stakeholder relations.
- Advised clients regarding FERC-CFTC jurisdictional issues arising in connection with the Dodd-Frank Act.
- Advised an ISO on a large smart grid development project, including transaction structure, contractual issues, regulatory implications, and implementation considerations to enable public-private, multi-party investment in new smart grid technologies.
- Advised an ISO on a series of proposed, multi-party transmission system upgrade and expansion projects.
- Advised an ISO in connection with a wide range of transmission system planning and interconnection matters.