Bob’s practice focuses on intellectual property with an emphasis on complex patent litigation and patent prosecution.
Bob counsels and advises clients in patent prosecution (patent procurement), avoidance of the patent rights of others, patent litigation and brand protection (trademark, copyright, marking). He is an electrical engineer, but routinely works in other technology areas, including computer hardware and software, mechanical devices and medical devices.
Bob is admitted to practice in the Courts of Appeals for the Federal and Fourth Circuits, the US District Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia, the District of Columbia, the Northern District of Georgia, and the Eastern District of Texas. He is also registered to practice before the US Patent and Trademark Office.
- Represented clients in patent litigations involving software, electronics, semiconductor, and medical device technology.
- Represented clients before the patent office in the areas of banking technology, microprocessor architecture, software applications, Internet applications, storage systems, digital signal processing, digital cryptography, digital watermarking technology, wireless communications, image recognition software, waste water management systems, cooking systems, refrigerant compressors, automotive air conditioning systems, and medical devices.
- Negotiated favorable settlements in patent infringement disputes.
- Represented clients in both ex parte and inter partes reexaminations before the US Patent and Trademark Office and before the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Advised clients in avoiding and respecting the patent rights of others, including patent opinions and design-around efforts.
- Conducted due diligence investigations of intellectual property in connection with corporate acquisitions.
- Developed custom patent prosecution strategies and programs commensurate with client needs.